Questioning strategies to stretch and challenge all our pupils
Fantastic strategies backed by research and resources to take away
Donia Peters Head of Music, Clifton High School
- Do you feel you ask too many closed questions?
- Are you looking to increase challenge and deepen learning through the outstanding use of questions?
- Do you want to discover and utilise the 6 most effective questioning techniques?
Understanding the value of questioning
- What styles are helpful/ unhelpful?
- Analysis of video footage
- How should we plan our class questioning?
Questioning in the Outstanding classroom
- How to get the best out of questions:
- Encouraging pupils to ask questions
- Questioning as a whole-staff focus
- Observing good questioning in the classroom
The power of questioning in the learning process
- Staging questions to engage, motivate and explore
- How to respond to pupils’ answers
- Using questioning to personalise learning
- Managing whole-class discussion
- Developing reasoned arguments
- Using challenge to develop pupil resilience and confidence
- Increase pupil attainment through making judgements and supporting conclusions
Tools to encourage pupils to challenge ideas
- Explore concepts through Socratic questioning techniques
- Extend Critical Thinking skills
- Questions for meta-cognition