We maintain the strictest levels of confidentially throughout all our consultancy projects with schools & colleges especially concerning those that have not met the Independent School Standards, as judged by ISI.
Testimonials or references from schools we have successfully supported through this process with ISI & the DfE are available on requestJMC Inspection Team
We provide post inspection support for independent schools and colleges when the worst has happened and a setting has not met the Independent School Standards. For boarding schools this can restrict the ability to recruit overseas so we appreciate that the pressure is on to turn things around quickly. Our comprehensive support and guidance, easy to follow procedures and outstanding training ensure that improvement is fast and sustainable.
Amongst our Independent Schools support team are:
- A former Director of The Headmaster’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC)
- A former National Director of The Boarding School’s Association (BSA)
- Former Directors of Education at Cognita Schools
- Former Board members of the Independent School’s Council (ISC)
- Regional Ambassadors for the Independent Schools Association (ISA)
- Experienced ISI lead inspectors*
*NB As ISI do not permit its serving inspectors to conduct consultancy work under the ISI name all our consultants and advisors are working in an independent capacity and are not sanctioned by ISI.
Is your school due an ISI Inspection in 2023?
JMC provide comprehensive mock inspections, each of our teams are led by an experienced Reporting Inspector.
We are running an ISI Inspection Framework Conference in September 2023
What happens if your School or College fails to meet the Independent Schools Standards?
When inspectors judge that a school or college has not met one or more ISSRs, the inspection report will set out the steps that you must take.
If a standard is not met this usually results in several linked standards also not being met; for example, failure to complete adequate recruitment checks prior to an employee’s start date (Part 4) can lead to Safeguarding failures (Part 3) and a failing of the Quality of Leadership and Management(Part 8). Similar knock-on effects occur with failings in the National Minimum Standards for Boarding (NMS) and the EYFS Statutory Framework for non-registered settings.
JMC are experts in providing support when ISSRs are not met through our school improvement reviews and Executive coaching & mentoring work with SLT.
Providing Evidence for the next ISI inspection.
Following a ‘not met’ judgement, you will be required to write an ‘Action Plan’ for the DfE and any Associations the school is a member. Within 12 months of the original inspection ISI will usually revisit the school for a Progress Monitoring Visit, to check that standards are now being met.
Post ISI inspection support
This support visit can be tailored to meet your specific requirements. We can offer:
- Advice on practice or statutory requirements
- Review of any weaknesses to advise how they can be strengthened following your inspection
- Support for the Headteacher/ Principal and staff team after the inspection visit
- Training for school leaders, governors & proprietors in the ISSRs & their Implementation
- Support for staff team on answering concerns from parents
- Breakdown of the report and what it actually means
- Guidance on the ISI appeals process
- Support informing and communicating with parents, writing letters to explain the outcomes if needed
- Guidance on producing an action plan to submit to the DfE
- Guidance on how to meet the actions and recommendations post inspection.
- Support in preparing for a progress monitoring inspection including ‘mock’ monitoring visits
- Marketing support following a unsatisfactory inspection.
- Guidance on supporting staff well-being
Please talk to one of our team to help you build your bespoke package
Find out more about our Safeguarding training for Schools and Colleges or arrange an expert-led Safeguarding update for all staff new academic year or for new staff each term.JMC Inspection Team
3 Replies to “Independent Schools Standards ‘not met’ – Support for Schools”
Comments are closed.