“This is a great workshop focused on improving wellbeing through a positive school culture. It really made me reflect on the way we all treat each other in school and how our behaviour as adults sets the tone for the children. We were all buzzing when we left.”Aly Tresize, Canadian International School of Hong Kong
In July 2020 one in six children aged 5 to 16 years were identified as having a probable mental disorder, increasing from one in nine in 2017.The Teacher Wellbeing Index 2020 also noted a worrying growth in symptoms of poor mental health in the education professionals.
Positive School Culture brings together the science of Positive Psychology with best practice teaching to encourage and support individuals, schools and communities to flourish. It focuses on specific evidence-based skills that assist adults and children to strengthen their relationships, build positive emotions, enhance personal resilience, promote mindfulness and encourage a healthy lifestyle.
The development of these valuable life skills provides staff and pupils with an increased capacity to teach and learn effectively, as well as offering them a strong foundation on which they can build a successful life.
This workshop is an introduction to the principles of Positive Education and focuses primarily on how staff can implement Positive Psychology interventions in their own lives to enhance personal wellbeing. It provides a foundation from which to begin to build a whole school approach to creating and maintaining a positive school culture.
The workshop aims to develop a basic understanding of human flourishing through an overview of the PERMAH model (Positive Emotions, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning, Accomplishment and Health) and to focus upon 3 key aspects of the model as a foundation for personal and organisational flourishing. It utliises a number of tools to allow staff to assess their own wellbeing against the PERMAH model and develop a PERMAH Wellbeing Plan.
What is Positive Education and Why Do We Need It?
- To examine the basic principles of Positive Psychology and Positive Education.
- To understand the PERMAH model of human flourishing.
- To consider how the use of the PERMAH model in schools can build a flourishing school community.
- To use a number of tools to assess individual PERMAH.
Building Positive Relationships in School
- To understand why positive relationships are the foundation of wellbeing.
- To consider a range of evidence-based positive psychology interventions (PPIs) to build positive relationships in school.
- To model the use of PPIs to build positive relationships.
Experiencing Positive Emotions
- To understand what we mean by positive emotions and why they are important.
- To consider a range of evidence-based positive psychology interventions (PPIs) to increase positive emotions in school.
- To model the use of PPIs to increase positive emotions.
Focusing on rest as the Foundation of Good Health
- To understand what we mean by rest.
- To understand why rest is important.
- To consider a range of simple ways in which we can increase the amount of rest we have each day.
Email : email@example.com