Thank you for your work on improving middle leaders….a well-planned and thought-provoking session which received very good feedback.Geraint Jones, Director of Education Cognita Schools UK & Europe
The JMC Middle Leaders Mentorship Programme is a bespoke programme designed to suit the needs of individual schools or clusters of schools. Unlike other programmes it does not involve sending individuals away to distant venues with considerable travel and cover costs. Rather than spending £500+ on training one individual the programme is best delivered to groups of middle leaders in your school or cluster or MAT at a considerable saving and greater impact. The timings for sessions are decided by negotiation to best suit your needs.
This Middle leaders Programme is for:
Aspiring or recently appointed Middle Leaders (Subject, Phase or Key Stage) in schools, academies and colleges.
Introduction to Middle leadership in Schools the ‘principles’ of being a middle tier leader.
This first day includes the opportunity for some staff to train as in-school mentors for the programme.
Leadership & Management
- The differences between leadership & management of a subject
- As a leader what can you influence and what can’t you influence?
- What is expected of a subject leader? Knowing your remit.
Middle Leaders – How to be a subject champion!
- Vision for your subject – leadership questions
- Opportunities and threats to success
- Adapting to your context – what are the needs of your community?
- Action planning / Project work
- Leadership behaviours that influence and support others
Subject Management – how to work smarter not harder
- Subject specific pedagogy – What makes great teaching in your subject?
- Defining the key subject specific skills
- Monitoring standards in your subject how to gather evidence
- Supporting colleagues with subject knowledge – how to facilitate the learning of others
- Questioning for learning – supporting oracy & language development
- Assessment beyond levels in your subject
- Evidencing progress and impact in your subject
Additional Middle leaders sessions
Followed by 4 morning/afternoon or twilight sessions :
- Quality Assurance for a high achieving department
- Recruiting, appointing and developing staff
- Managing change
- Building high performing teams through a culture of coaching
Benefits to your school
Our programme will help your school by:
- Satisfying the latest statutory requirements for middle leaders under OFSTED/ISI inspections.
- Transforming subject, year groups and phases sustainably.
- Developing middle leaders to embody a culture of improvement and accountability.
- Embodying a culture of continuous self-evaluation and improvement for themselves, their staff and their students.
- Helping your middle leaders set ambitious targets, and giving them the confidence to meet them.
- Showing them how to analyse data and turn student underperformance around.
Our team of experienced JMC Associates include current and former Head Teachers, current inspectors as well as outstanding teacher trainers.
The aim of the Middle Leaders Mentorship Programme is to deliver a high quality programme at low cost (both in terms of time and money) to schools.
Training is provided in the following ways:
- Face to face training- Delegates take part in one whole day core content training session followed by 4 online half day or twilight sessions ( length and timing is arranged to fit with the school’s needs)
- Online distance support – the facilitators will be available for contact by email and Zoom if necessary at designated times throughout the programme.
- In-school mentoring- This may be an experienced Subject/Phase Leader or Senior Leader who will act to support delegates through the programme.