“It was exceptionally useful, highly relevant & personalised to our school. Our Chemistry teachers found the opportunity to work with someone of such pragmatic experience invaluable. I cannot recommend highly enough!”
Dr Dawn Casserly, Headteacher, St. Paul’s School for Girls
• Does your Chemistry teaching really stretch the most able students?
• How do we teach our students to tackle synoptic and problem solving questions
• Are your students ready to face the challenge of the new more applied style questions?
• How do we embed higher order thinking skills in our students?
• Does your department prepare students effectively for Medical applications and Oxbridge?
This highly interactive workshop is designed for teachers of very able Chemistry students. Now that winning a place at Oxford or Cambridge is tougher than ever, with only 20% of applicants making a successful application your students need to stand out from the crowd. They need top A level grades and a passion for Chemistry that they can capably demonstrate at interview.
It will explore new teaching approaches to develop higher order skills, and show approaches to key topics that promote deep understanding rather than simply following the rules
This INSET is an ideal whole department CPD opportunity for teachers in selective schools and academies with very high expectations of staff and students.
The development of higher order thinking skills in a Chemistry context
• Teaching for metacognition
• How to develop critical thinking skills
• Encouraging creative thinking
• Enhancing problem solving skills
Preparing able students for Oxbridge and Medical interviews, Olympiad and Cambridge Chemistry Challenge
• Thinking skill assessments and pre-interview tests
• Mock interviews/assisting in interview preparation
Top strategies for challenging the most able Chemistry students
• Chemistry for deep understanding – electron accounting and REDOX
• Gaining an overview of organic chemistry
• Promoting a synoptic understanding, making links and connecting topics
• Playing the exam game getting the marks
Not quite what you’re looking for? Take a look at the full range of Science INSET we offer