“Impactful , positive & inspiring – highly recommended “
Jenny Carruthers HOD , Cleeve School
Mixing chemicals, testing circuits and experimenting with all manner of creepy-crawlies are just some of the joys to be had in science practical lessons. They are the kind of exhilarating experiences that can brighten a school day… and perhaps instil a lifelong love of science for our most able pupils.
What are the benefits of this Science INSET for your school?
Meet requirements from Ofsted’s report ‘The most able students’:
• Ensure most able pupils make rapid & sustained progress in Science
• Develop a knowledge-rich challenging Science curriculum
• Challenge your able pupils and promote high expectations for all
“The most able students were not achieving their potential in over 40% of the schools visited for the survey”Ofsted Report: ‘The Most Able Students’
This course can be adapted for delivery as both a Primary and Secondary INSET.
Deliver Ofsted best practice for challenging able pupils in Science
• Meet the new Ofsted framework’s goal of high-quality teaching and learning
• Ensure high expectations for all
• Reduce the risk of underachievement
Assessment provision for challenging able pupils
• Identify the most able pupils in Science and benchmark your current provision
• Effective use of assessment to inform your planning
• Practical approaches to effective differentiation & personalisation
• Challenge and extend the most able in mixed ability groups
• Effective extension and enrichment
• Include planning strategies to set open expectations
How to develop Higher Order Thinking skills (HOTS) & Critical thinking through ideas, evidence & argument in Science
- Enhancing Scientific Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS)
- Critical thinking and developing argument
- Extending discussion and debate in the Science classroom
- Setting homework that promotes thinking
- Differentiation & Responsive teaching
- Questioning strategies to stretch and challenge learners
Effective ‘stretch & challenge’ strategies and practical activities to transform your classroom
- Transform your lessons to embrace active learning approaches
- Mindsets to promote enrichment
- Self-regulation & independent learning in Science
- Make your pupils work harder than you do!
- Resources and websites for immediate use
- Using social media
- BYOD and iPads to extend the most able
“The most stimulating and engaging teaching and the best learning occur when science is brought to life and pupils are given the chance to conduct, record and evaluate their own investigations”.
Ofsted Report on Science Teaching
Free CPD Consultation
If you want to learn more about this or other In-school INSET courses, then don’t hesitate to get in touch in one of the following ways:
Call: +44 208 5314812
Contact us today for a FREE consultation on your development needs.