“Left inspired!” Kim Carmichael, Head of Science, Longcroft School
Improving the performance of lower attaining A level Biology students
- How do you make the new Biology specifications more accessible to lower attaining students?
- How do you support and differentiate for these students effectively whilst still stretching the top students?
- What strategies are effective in boosting exam performance?
- How do teachers best use marking and feedback at A level to improve student progress?
This highly interactive workshop is designed to boost exam performance in A level Biology. It is full of strategies and practical ideas for a Biology Department to take on board which improve student progress and attainment whether the board is OCR, AQA, Edexcel or WJEC.
Boosting initial Biology subject knowledge and understanding
- Closing the gap up from GCSE Fast track to get to know your starting point, how to fill in the gaps
- Activities for the first few weeks to boost students’ confidence
- Strategies for helping students to deal with the depth of knowledge and think like A Level Biology students straight away
Getting Biology teaching “spot on” : ensuring the students understand the fundamental concepts
- How to differentiate for the lower ability in the same classroom
- Innovative ways to get students to understand the more challenging concepts
- Developing independence and resilience
- Effective questioning to support thinking skills
- Exemplar lesson activities, demonstrations and practicals for the less able student
Giving students proven strategies to boost exam performance
- Looking at the different types of questions, tasks, skills and assessment demands – through the eyes of the lower ability biologist
- Accessing the exam paper, interpreting and understanding the questions
- How to pull the paper apart to understand it
Tracking progress and intervening with a notable impact on pupil performance
- Developing a rich dialogue with students to improve performance (and make Ofsted happy!)
- Using data effectively to set realistic and meaningful targets
- Formative marking strategies which really add value at A level
To register an interest or raise any questions about his course please use the registration form below or use our Enquiries page.