Thank you very much it has been such a useful day, I have so many ideas to take away from the day!Lynne Reynolds, Head of Social Science , Bosworth Independent College
New BSO Standards for August 2023 – are you ready?
British Schools Overseas (BSO) accreditation is a quality assurance framework designed for British international schools operating outside of the UK. BSO accreditation is provided by the DfE, and is intended to ensure that these schools maintain high educational standards in line with those in the UK.
The BSO accreditation process involves an evaluation of various aspects of the school, including its leadership, teaching and learning, curriculum, welfare and pastoral care, and health and safety. Inspections are conducted by DfE approved inspectorates who assess the school against standards that are almost identical to the UK ISSR’s & NMS but also take account, where possible, of compliance with any local requirements.
Obtaining BSO accreditation signifies that a British international school meets the required standards and offers a British-style education comparable to that provided in the UK. It provides assurance to students, parents, and other stakeholders that the school delivers quality education and follows recognised guidelines.
In August 2023, the ‘British schools overseas: standards for schools’ will be revised to reflect recent changes to the NMS for Boarding and the RSE curriculum that are already in place in the UK.
- Does your international school have BSO accreditation?
- Is your accreditation in need of renewal?
- Are you aware of the changes to the BSO standards and their implications to your school?
- Is your British international school compliant with the updated NMS standards?
- Is your school teaching Relationships & Sex Education (RSE)?
- Are you promoting positive behaviour and relationships?
- How prepared is your school for an ISI accreditation inspection?
There is no time not to be ready.
‘British schools overseas: standards for schools’ lists the standards that all accredited British schools overseas must meet.
To become accredited British Schools Overseas must have an inspection every 3 years which shows that their performance against all the standards is at least satisfactory.
This leaders day will offer practical steps to ensure your school is inspection-ready every day.
BSO Standards INSET Outline
JMC BSO INSET will offer practical steps to ensure your school is inspection-ready every day:
BSO INSET Outline
The BSO Standards:
- What are the 8 Standards for British Schools Overseas?
- Understanding the August 2023 changes and their implications to your school
- How are BSO standards judged?
Expectations of BSO Standards Inspection
- What evidence on the quality of education is required to meet the BSO Standards?
- What evidence will inspectors gather on the quality of middle and senior leadership?
- What are the expectations from class-teachers during the inspection?
- How is the spiritual, moral, social, cultural development of pupils judged in the standards?
- How is safeguarding judged in British Schools Overseas?
An ISI BSO Standards Inspection combined with Education Quality Inspection
- Understanding the Education Quality outcomes of Pupil’s Learning and Achievement and Personal Development
- Pupil outcomes in achievement and personal development – providing the evidence to demonstrate success
- What evidence will be looked before and during an education quality inspection
- Who will be interviewed?
- Timings overview
BSO Inspections with NMS Boarding Compliance [If applicable]
- The National Minimum Standards for boarding
- 20 ways to get it wrong!
- Judging the impact of boarding life on the quality of education
Free CPD Consultation
If you want to learn more about this or other In-school INSET courses, then don’t hesitate to get in touch in one of the following ways: