I feel particularly inspired. Unlike many courses, this felt achievable.
Alison Tanner, Year 5/6 Teacher Cameley Primary School
The Highly Effective Head of Year /Key Stage/ 6th Form
• Need guidance on the role and its key responsibilities?
• Do you require tools for evaluating how well the role is being fulfilled?
• Do you need advice on leading and managing the pastoral team, year group and curriculum?
• Could you do with help with developing systems, policies, procedures and sharing good practice?
This course will offer practical advice to enhance your effectiveness as a pastoral leader. The course provides a clear guide to help Heads of Year develop personal and management skills along with their key role in planning for and demonstrating success in school improvement. The training provides clear direction in leading your year group, tutor team and working with parents/support agencies. The course will also review pastoral issues and dealing with common problems. There is advice on developing and planning a pastoral curriculum, systems, policies and procedures. The trend is towards broadening of the role of the Head of Year and the course offers valuable advice to being successful in this vital role.
Introduction guidance on the role and its key responsibilities
• Skills and qualities needed; review of the job description
• Evaluating your performance; dilemmas and pitfalls
• Dealing with administration and personal organisation
Leading the tutor team & support in developing and planning a pastoral curriculum
• Getting the best out of your tutor team; working with tutors and the wider pastoral team; meetings; communication skills
• Giving support to tutors in PSHE and an overview of the curriculum
Leading your year group and working with parents and outside agencies
• Control and management of the year group; status and influence in the role
• Special difficulties in the year group: parents and outside agencies
• Top tips on assemblies
Common pastoral problems and evaluating success in this vital role/future needs
• Truancy, inclusion, behaviour and disaffection and establishing systems
• Dealing with conflict & common pastoral problems
• Raising the profile of the pastoral leader; success in role and identifying the multi-skills that equip you for senior management career progression
• Future needs; review and reflection